I love a good crumb bar recipe. They are chewy and sweet and with a bit of whipped cream on top it’s one of the best fruity desserts you can have. But, now that I’m on the THM plan, I thought this fruity deliciousness was going on my “no-no” list.
This post contains affiliate links to 3rd party sites where products purchased may result in paid commissions for this blogger.
A while ago I saw this Strawberry Crumb Bars recipe from Flavor Mosaic in my Pinterest feed. And, I got to craving them because, seriously, they looked so flavorful. The crumb topping looks so buttery and yummy while the sweet strawberry layer looked so mouthwatering and sumptuous that I just needed to figure out how to make them and stay ON my THM plan.
So off I went to the kitchen to begin experimenting.
It’s really not as difficult as you’d think to change up a recipe on a THM plan. Simply look at the ingredient list and figure out how to sub ingredients for ones that are typically on-plan. For example, for all-purpose flour, you can sub with an on-plan low-carb option.
I chose brown rice flour because I prefer the texture of it to other on plan flours. You could certainly switch to oat flour if you’d like. I use it often, but for this recipe I wanted the smooth texture that you get with brown rice flour. I’m sure the Trim Healthy Mama baking blend would work just as well too.
Of course for a THM plan, you’re going to have to switch out sugar for an on-plan sweetener like Gentle Sweet or Super Sweet Blend, Stevia or Erythitol. I prefer Pyure because I can pick it up locally and I like the subtle sweet flavor.
Because I used 1/4 butter the fat content in this is on the high side of the E requirements. But well under the carb requirements. You could opt for coconut oil if you choose.
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 T stevia blend, I prefer Pyure
- ½ teaspoon aluminum free baking powder
- 2 Cups of Bob's Red Mill Brown Rice Flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/4cup (4 Tablespoons) very cold butter
- 2 cups fresh strawberries
- 2 tsp. stevia blend
- 2 tsp. gluccomannan
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a 7x11 baking dish, I used parchment paper but you could butter and flour the pan.
- Whisk together the egg whites and vanilla. In a separate bowl, mix together stevia blend, baking powder, brown rice flour and salt. Using a fork or pastry cutter to cut butter into mixture then add in egg whites and continue cutting to crumble the mixture.
- Set aside.
- In blender, add cleaned strawberries, 2 tsp. stevia and glucomannan, blend until fruit is chopped well, but not emulsified.
- Sprinkle half the crumble in the botttom of pan and press together and into the corners. Next, layer the strawberry mixture, then sprinkle the rest of the crumble over the top.
- Bake until lightly browned.
What’s one of your favorite sweet treat recipes? Tell me in a comment.
You May Also Like