If you are looking for a comforting winter dinner idea then this is the recipe for you. Whether it’s New Year’s Day or a cold winter day this cabbage rolls recipe is sure to satisfy the body and warm you up. This country classic recipe is often served as a traditional New Year’s Day dinner and is said to bring luck to the home that serves it. It’s a fabulous family dinner idea, when the weather gets cold.
Growing up my mom made cabbage rolls every year for New Year’s Day. Now that I think about it, everyone in our hometown made some version of cabbage rolls on New Year’s. It’s a Southern West Virginia tradition, to be sure. But, I also know many other cultures make cabbage rolls as well.
This post contains affiliate advertisement links.
There are cabbage rolls recipes found in many European countries, and also Asian countries. It’s truly hard to know where this dish originated.
Maybe it’s because cabbage is a vegetable that’s easy to grow in many climates. It also is cheap to buy, and stores well throughout the cold winter months.
I’ve repeated the New Year’s tradition in my home with my own family.
But, I don’t just serve this scrumptious dish at the start of the year. I serve it whenever it’s cold outside. Cabbage rolls are found on my family’s table throughout the winter months, and occasionally in the fall and spring as well whenever there is a chill in the air.
Be sure to read this 25 Delectable Tomato Based Soup Recipes round-up. You’ll discover wonderful, comfort foods for the winter season.
Cabbage Rolls Recipe
What You’ll Need to Make this Cabbage Rolls Recipe
This is a classic recipe using traditional ingredients. But, there are many different versions.
Cabbage Rolls Recipe Ingredients
- head of cabbage
- ground beef
- rice, I use instant white rice for my classic recipe, but you can make it healthier by using brown rice with no noticeable difference in flavor.
- Alternatively, you can use s instead of rice.
- oats, I prefer Old Fashioned Oats.
- bread crumbs
- salt, I use pink Himalayan salt
- black pepper
- 2 bottles of tomato juice
I do prefer to use Campbell’s Tomato Juice, though I’ve used a variety of generic options over the years. Some juices, like V-8, will change the flavor profile of the finished recipe. Look for a juice that has a simple ingredient list of tomatoes, water, and salt. Additions to the juice will change the flavor.
Non-pantry Items for Your Cabbage Rolls Recipe
I use toothpicks to keep my rolls together while they are cooking. You will also need a large stockpot for this recipe. I prefer to use a Dutch Oven with a heavy bottom to prevent the tomato juice from sticking.
Classic Cabbage Rolls
This classic country dish is a family recipe that goes back many generations. It's traditionally served on New Year's Day but makes a great family dinner anytime of the year.
- 1 head of cabbage
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup rice
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. salt.
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 2 bottles of tomato juice
- In a large pot add full head of cabbage cover with salted water, bring to boil. Let cook until cabbage becomes tender. Drain, cool down with cold water, drain. Gently peel about 12 –16 leaves from the head.
- While cabbage is tenderizing, mix together, the meat, eggs, rice, oats, bread crumbs, and spices. Roll into 1 inch balls.
- Once the cabbage is ready, in about 20-30 minutes of boiling, place 1 ball in each leaf nearest the spine of the leaf, fold sides over the center, then roll forward. Use a toothpick to hold the rolled leaf together, it’s best if you can pierce the spine of the leaf.
- Layer rolls in large pot, cover with tomato juice, bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer for about 1 hour
Serve with fresh bread, or cornbread. For a traditional New Year's Day ham can be served alongside this dish.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 537Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 194mgSodium: 1104mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 8gSugar: 13gProtein: 42g
Nutritional values are estimates only intended for informational purposes actual results may vary.
What are your favorite ways to use cabbage in your home?
Want delicious bread with your cabbage rolls but not the work of baking bread? Order these to be delivered to your home.
One Reply to “Satisfying Country Classic Cabbage Rolls Recipe”