Carrots are a wonderful, tasty, and healthy vegetable. While available all year long there is just something perfect about enjoying this sweet, tender, vegetable in the spring. You’ll find that this carrots au gratin recipe makes a wonderful side dish to go along with your spring dinner ideas.
Carrots are a root vegetable. They are an excellent source of fiber that is considered low on the glycemic index. That means they don’t spike blood sugar which is a good thing for anyone eating a low-carb diet, such as Trim Healthy Mama, Keto, or Paleo.
Carrots are a relatively easy vegetable to grow. You can stagger plantings about every three weeks throughout the spring months in order to harvest crops throughout the growing season.
Whether you are preparing a ham, beef, lamb, or pork roast, you’ll see that this carrots au gratin recipe is the perfect side dish companion for any spring family dinner.
This post contains affiliate advertisement links.
Ingredients You’ll Need for this Carrots Au Gratin Recipe
- Carrots about 1 lb. fresh, and whole
- Butter, I prefer butter from grass fed, pasture grazed cows
- Parmesan cheese
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Half and half
- Pink salt
- Bread crumbs
- Non-stick spray
How to Make Carrots Au Gratin
Pre-heat your oven to 400° Fahrenheit.
Start by filling a large pot with water and sprinkle in about 2 teaspoons of pink salt and bring to a boil.
In the meantime, slice the carrots, and mince 1 garlic clove (about 1 teaspoonful). Once the water comes to a boil add the sliced carrots to the pot and reduce the heat to medium. Simmer the carrots for about 10 minutes or until fork tender, drain and set aside.
Next, melt butter in a medium sized pan over medium heat. Add the minced garlic to the butter and saute for 3-5 minutes until the garlic begins to turn translucent. Be careful to not brown the garlic or it will turn bitter.
Stir in the cream of mushroom soup and the half and half. As it heats, continue stirring until mixture is smooth. Add in grated Parmesan cheese and continue stirring until the cheese is completely melted.
Spray an 8×8 inch glass casserole dish with non-stick spray. Place carrots in a the baking pan and pour the soup mixture over top.
Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a glass mixing bowl. I use the microwave to melt my butter, but you can melt in a small pan and transfer to a mixing bowl if you prefer. Once butter is melted, mix in bread crumbs to create a crumbly topping.
Sprinkle the bread crumbs evenly over the top of carrots, sprinkle about a quarter of a cup of Parmesan cheese over the bread crumbs.
Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes until bubbly and golden brown.
Carrots Au Gratin Recipe
- 2 Cups Carrots Peeled & Sliced (about 1 lb)
- 1 Tbsp. Butter
- 1 Clove Garlic, minced (about 1 tsp.)
- 1 Cup Fresh Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- ¼ Cup Half and half
- Salt (about 2-3 tsp.)
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- ½ Cup Bread Crumbs
- ¼ Cup Parmesan Cheese
- Fill a large pot with water and sprinkle in salt (about 2 tsp.) and bring to a boil.
- Add the sliced carrots and reduce heat to medium.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes or until fork tender, drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in a medium sized pan over medium heat. Add garlic to the butter and saute for 3-5 min. Add in cream of mushroom soup and milk. Heat over medium heat, stirring until smooth. Add in Parmesan cheese and stir until completely melted.
- Place carrots in a 8x8 square baking pan. Pour soup mixture over top.
In a bowl melt your 2 tbsp butter, mix in bread crumbs to create a crumbly topping.
- Pour bread crumbs evenly over the top of carrots, sprinkle ¼ cup Parmesan cheese over the bread crumbs.
- Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes until bubbly and golden brown.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 368Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 55mgSodium: 1458mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 13g
Nutritional values are estimates only intended for informational purposes actual results may vary.
What are your favorite spring dinner side dishes? I do love carrots. And, this carrots au gratin recipe will make a wonderful, sweet and savory side dish your family is gonna love.