Sometimes when it comes to family dinner ideas I want simple! I mean, I don’t want a meat and two sides kind of dinner. I want a simple one-dish wonder that still fills up the hungry men in my family. This family dinner idea for pesto chicken sweet potatoes does is just that kind of dish.
The savory pesto chicken is a wonderful way to get protein into the dish. And, coupled with the sweet potato you you get that sweet and savory combination that is yummy to the last bite.
This post contains affiliate advertisement links.
What you need for Pesto Chicken Sweet Potatoes
For this recipe you’ll need these ingredients.
- 8 oz. raw almonds
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- fresh basil leaves
- fresh spinach
- olive oil
- fresh lemon juice
- nutritional yeast (optional)
- sea salt
- cooked shredded chicken breast (have you discovered that you can buy chicken directly from Perdue Farms?)
- sweet potatoes
- coconut oil spray
Lining your baking sheet with parchment paper is a good idea. It will protect the pan from the juices that can run out of the sweet potatoes a they cook.
You’ll need a food processor to blend the almonds with the other ingredients.
Start off by prepping the sweet potatoes and putting them in the oven. Then, mix up the chicken pesto while they bake. That way it’s ready to go when the potatoes are finished baking.
Once you’ve blended the greens, spices, and almonds combine with the cooked and shredded chicken in a large bowl, mix well. Season with salt if needed.
Then just wait until the potatoes are finished baking. Once done, cut a slit in each potato and stuff the potatoes with the pesto chicken mixture.
If you would prefer to not bake your potatoes in the oven you can steam them in an Instant Pot. I actually prefer this method. I use the STEAM setting for 20 minutes to get soft, tender sweet potatoes.
Recipe for Pesto Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 1 cup raw almond
- 4-5 cloves of peeled garlic
- 3 cups fresh basil leaves
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken breast or about 1 lb uncooked
- 6 medium sweet potatoes
- Coconut oil for baking
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees*
- Poke sweet potatoes with a fork and then coat with a bit of coconut oil all over.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake 60-70 mins until soft.
(See Note below for alternative method.)
- Combine almonds, garlic, basil leaves, spinach, olive oil, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, and salt in a blender or food processor.
- Blend on high speed until a paste forms, scraping sides as needed.
- Combine cooked shredded chicken and pesto in a large bowl, mix well. Season with salt if needed.
- Once potatoes are ready, cut each one lengthwise and top generously with chicken pesto mixture.
- Serve warm!
To Bake Potatoes:
For The Pesto:
*Want to skip heating up the kitchen? Use your Instant Potinstead to "bake" the potatoes. They come out so soft and moist you'll never go back to baking in the oven. I just use the steamed vegetable setting for 20 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 589Total Fat: 41gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 32gCholesterol: 57mgSodium: 404mgCarbohydrates: 31gNet Carbohydrates: 292.gFiber: 7.1gSugar: 8gProtein: 27g
All calculated data is approximate based on average products sizes.
This recipe can be a one-dish meal, but if you’ve got extra hungry people in your home you can make up a side salad to go with the dish.
My husband doesn’t care for sweet potatoes so he gets a white potato instead. So, you can adapt this to any taste you prefer.
The best thing about this recipe is that it’s a super healthy dish. It’s fits Keto, and Trim Healthy Mama guidelines.
What do you think? Are you ready to give this recipe a try? Let me know if you do and how you like it.
Want more family dinner ideas? Try these recipes.