Mothers hold a special place in the lives of their children. As mamas we are uniquely blessed with qualities of gentleness, love, and tender hearts.
This is especially true when we are endeavoring to teach them from God’s word. It’s important for parents to hold God’s word in high regard in front of their children. We are to “…train them up in the nurture and admonition of the word.” Ephesians 6:1. We see that godly instruction throughout scripture, from Deuteronomy chapters 4, 6 and 11 to the Psalms and Proverbs and into the New Testament.
Because we as mothers are equipped with gentle hearts we can reach down to teach out children at their own level. Feeding to them the pure sincere milk of the word, 1 Peter 2:2, so that they can grow up into the study of the solid food of the word Hebrews 5:12,13.
10 Ways to Train Up Hearts
It is never too early to teach our children from the word of God. From the moment they come into our lives we can begin to teach them the love of God. We can teach them in various ways to know His love and His word.
- Living lives of holiness, 1 Peter 1:16, as a godly example to your children.
- Loving, John 15:12, as He loves us, sacrificially, without complaint.
- Loving with discipline, Hebrews 12:3-11, for training in righteousness.
- Singing songs, Colossians 3:16, of praise, scripture and encouragement throughout their day.
- Being prayerful, 1 Thessalonians 5:17, in front of and with your children.
- Teaching your children to love others as Christ loves us, Galatians 5:13.
- Reading scripture, from the actual Bible, daily, with your children. 2 Timothy 2:15, (No they aren’t too young to hear it. The more you read to them, the more they will be familiar with it, and as they grow will begin to have greater and greater understanding of it. 2 Timothy 3:15.)
- Utilize Bible teaching resources, my favorites are:
Bible Study Guide for All Ages (this is what I use in our homeschool),
Bible Fun for Kids,
Hands On Bible Teacher,
Advanced Bible Reader from Apologetics Press,
Kaio Publications Family Devotionals,
and Hannah’s Hundreds.
- Attending worship, John 4:24, with your children, weekly, Hebrews 10:25, teaching, showing and training them up to honor God with their hearts, Mark 7:6.
- Living a life of thankfulness toward God for the blessings He bestows in your life, 1 Thessalonians 5:18.
Remember in scripture Timothy? He was trained up from childhood to know the holy scriptures which were able to make him wise for salvation in Christ Jesus, 2 Timothy 2:15. But, do you remember who it was who first taught him the scriptures? The Apostle Paul tells us as he addressed Timothy in his 2nd letter to him.
“…when I call to remembrance the genuine faith that is in you, which dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice, and I am persuaded is in you also.” 2 Timothy 1:5.
2 Replies to “Train Up Hearts for the Lord”
Thank you for these great reminders and resources. As a mom of teens it is nice to be reminded, refreshed, and rekindled.
You are welcome and yes we all need refreshed from time to time.