Middle School e-Learning with Standard Deviants Accelerate
as always, opinions expressed are completely my own.
Using Standard Deviants Accelerate provides me with a middle school e-learning option. Sometimes as a homeschool mom to one student, I can become overwhelmed with the amount of material that I have to teach. Unlike parents who have multiple children and sometimes allow older children to teach, read to, or work with a younger sibling, I don’t have that as an option. It’s just me.
I was given access to the entire 14 subject program. I was excited to see the variety available and it took me some time to narrow down to which ones would work for my child.
This year I am using the Nutrition lessons, because it is a subject that I don’t feel confident in teaching without help. We also will use the English Composition lessons because I feel I need a good supplement to teach my struggling writer. I also chose to use the Algebra as a way to reinforce material he has already learned elsewhere.
Because we are doing American History for the first time I added that class as well so we can utilize the resource as a supplement, but we have not yet reached the lessons available in our historical timeline (we are studying pre-American history right now) so I’ll be utilizing it later in the school year.
The program is easy for both the parent and student to navigate.
- It offers a video lesson and each video has a full transcript that the student can read along with the video or go back and read after watching the video which can help with lesson retention.
- The lessons include an audio version for both pronunciation and definition of each word.
- Each lesson includes an interactive drag and drop diagram worksheet to help reinforce what was learned in the lesson.
- Each lesson contains a review quiz and at the end of the unit is a test made up of missed review questions.
- The program easily grades the quizzes and tests for you, and those scores can be seen from your parent profile.
- The program has a unique note taking feature.
- SDA includes a print function for printing all (or as much as you want) of your child’s work.
- Students can send messages directly to their parents in the event that they need a bit of help with the program or lesson.
Online Supplement Subjects Offered at Standard Deviants Accelerate
- AP American Government and Politics
- AP Biology
- AP Chemistry
- AP English Language and Composition
- AP US History
- Earth Science
- English Composition
- Fundamentals of Mathematics
- US History
Each subject is broken down into chapters with specific topics and lessons. Each chapter has 3-6 lessons therefore with planning a subject can be utilized in a semester or spread out over an entire school year.
Information You will Want to Know
- The program is a supplemental online teaching resource.
- It meets national, state and common core standards.
- It is based upon a secular worldview.
- The sciences teach from an evolutionary theory worldview.
- Videos can be fast-paced and a little flashy although filled with very good and educational content. Therefore students who are easily distracted or may have trouble focusing may not do as well with this format.
Standard Deviants Accelerate Program Pricing
- or $24.95/month
- AP Subjects $14.95/month
- Learn how to try for free below.
Try this Online Teaching Resource with a Free 6-Month Trial
What about you? Have you tried online e-learning with your middle school student? Why not give SDA a try for FREE, here’s how:
- Sign up by November 15, 2014.
- Access to all 14 Courses, Free for 6 Months.
- No Commitments, No Obligation. (They don’t even ask for a credit card).
- You get, 1 parent account and up to 4 student accounts.
- Simply Click here: Standard Deviants Accelerate Free Trial to get started.