I don’t know about you, but I’m not much of a morning person. I prefer staying up late and sleeping in. Even on those days when I do have to be up early, I find it difficult to get breakfast on the table and we end up having quick and easy breakfasts like cereal or fast food drive through. But, when I can prep ahead and simply pop a breakfast casserole into the oven while I get dressed for the day, I find it’s easier to feed the family breakfast. This Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole is perfect for that a prep ahead breakfast idea.
This sausage and egg recipe is so perfect for a make ahead breakfast option. You can make the casserole then bake it immediately, or put it together the night before and then bake it the next morning. This is a fantastic option for any busy homeschooling day when you’ve got field trips or co-ops.
This post contains affiliate advertisement links.
It even makes a great breakfast for holidays, or vacation cooking when you want to sleep in but still have a yummy breakfast. Or, it is perfect any time that you have overnight guests to feed in the morning.
Ingredients You’ll Need for this Make Ahead Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole
- 16 lb. package Sweet Italian sausage
- 6 eggs
- whole milk (you can also use almond milk)
- ½ teaspoon Pink salt
- garlic powder
- shredded cheddar cheese
- whole wheat bread
- cooking spray, I prefer coconut or olive oil spray.
You will also need a 9×13 casserole dish.
This recipe can be made gluten free by swapping out the bread for GF bread. The pork sausage can also be traded out for turkey sausage for a lower fat option.
- 1 lb. sweet Italian pork sausage
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- ½ tsp. Pink salt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 ½ C. shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- The crusts of 6 slices of whole wheat bread, cut into bite sized pieces
- (I prefer sprouted grain bread)
- Preheat oven to 350° F (skip this step if you will not be baking the casserole immediately).
- Crumble the sausage into a skillet and brown the meat over medium heat until fully cooked. Drain off the fat and set the cooked sausage aside to cool. In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs together with the milk, salt, and garlic powder.
- Add the cooked sausage, 1 cup of the shredded cheese, and bite sized pieces of the crusts. Mix well.
- Spray a 9x13 inch glass casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Pour the casserole mixture into the dish. Sprinkle the top with the remaining ½ cup cheese.
- If preparing this dish to be cooked later, cover the casserole tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
- To bake, preheat the oven to 350°F. Remove the casserole from the refrigerator and allow to sit on the counter while the oven heats. Once the oven is heated to 350°F, place the casserole in the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes until golden brown around the edges.
- If preparing this dish to cook immediately, after step 4, bake the casserole uncovered at 350°F for 40-45 minutes until golden brown around the edges.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 427Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 198mgSodium: 899mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 26g
Nutritional values are estimates and intended for informational purposes only. Actual results may vary.
Don’t Miss These Family Breakfast Ideas
- Easy Breakfast Sausage Crescent Rolls
- Simple Bacon and Swiss Quiche Recipe
- Bacon and Egg Hash Brown Casserole
What are your favorite make ahead breakfast recipes? Share your faves with me in the comments.